Police officer careers
For a rewarding, challenging career, become a police officer in the AFP
About the role
As a police officer in the Australian Federal Police, your core task will be to outsmart crime through intelligent action. You will be expected to work with integrity, commitment, excellence, accountability, fairness, respect and trust at all times.
Information for applicants
To be a police officer in the AFP, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Be an Australian citizen
- Hold a valid full, provisional or automatic-only driver's licence
- Have at least a Year 10 certificate with a Certificate IV, Year 10 Certificate with a Trade Certificate or a Year 12 Certificate or higher (university qualification).
When applying to be a police officer in the AFP, you must:
- Complete and submit the Employment Suitability Questionnaire (ESQ). For more information, visit our Employment Suitability Questionnaire page.
- Provide a copy of your traffic history
- Provide proof of your Australian citizenship
- Provide a copy of your driver's licence
- Provide evidence of your highest level of education.
There is a seven-step process to becoming an Australian Federal Police officer:
- Pass the AFP Entrance Exam
- Pass the fitness assessment
- Complete a detailed application
- Pass a medical and psychological assessment
- Pass a security assessment
- Attend the two-day Assessment Centre course.
Australian Federal Police officers must be fit enough to carry out duties. If you are active and lead a healthy lifestyle, you shouldn’t have a problem passing the initial fitness assessment. This consists of a beep test, push-ups and sit-ups.
Once you’re accepted into the AFP, you will train full-time at the AFP College in Barton, Canberra. You will be taught and trained by expert instructors in all aspects of police work, including law, investigation techniques, police powers, firearms, driver training and mandatory physical fitness training. Recruits will live at the AFP College or nearby in Canberra during training.
Entry-level police officer roles in the AFP are highly sought-after. After successfully completing the Federal Police Development Program you will be deployed in line with the AFP’s operational priorities and the needs of the organisation at that time.
Hear from our people
I joined the AFP as a PSO, which was a great foundation for me. I got to learn about the organisation, undertook operational safety training, driver training and de-escalation skills that have helped me greatly in my policing career.
Senior Constable, Eastern Command
Sergeant, ACT Policing